With only 1% of Americans that truly LOVE their jobs and 70% feeling disengaged, it’s not surprising that many of us can fall into a negativity rut. Where this becomes dangerous is when we allow the culture surrounding us to perpetuate this feeling. Often times, the negative voice is the loudest, permeating the day to day culture and making it hard to break free. Whether you love your job, hate your job or like it well enough, harboring negativity can only bring you further down and can lead to feelings of apathy and dread when facing another work day.
In order to move forward, we have to be willing to step out and break the cycle of negativity. Every day, we have the power to choose not to engage in negative behavior, to be positive and cooperative. Here are five ways to let your positivity shine to combat a persistent negativity rut:
1. Smile and say good morning to everyone you encounter.
2. When tempted by the social aspects of venting together, disengage, step away and find someone to have a more positive interaction with.
3. Stop complaining. It’s hard but worth it.
4. Know that if you stumble, it’s okay – move on and try again.
5. Store happy vibes from other areas of your life and draw from them in times of need.
It’s easy to get bogged down, draw strength from your positivity and be an example to those Negative Nellies. You may not be able to change them, but you can change your own behavior and break free from negativity.