Life is full of stress. Whether it’s the pressures of work, driving in traffic, or not getting enough sleep, the stress we face on a daily basis is endless. More often than not, our leisure time is filled with zoning out in front of the TV, computer or mobile devices instead of indulging in play. The acts of laughing, smiling and having fun boost positivity and can actually make us live longer! Here are a few more reasons why we should invest in having fun.
Prolonged stress can put your health at risk from:
- Anxiety and depression
- Digestive problems
- Heart disease
- Insomnia and other sleep issues
- Weight gain
Aside from avoiding these negative side affects, the benefits of having more fun include:
- Lower blood pressure
- Improved memory, problem solving and mental health
- Fuel for your imagination and creativity
- Fun fosters empathy, compassion, trust and intimacy with others
- Every time you smile your body releases endorphins!
For all of these reasons, we should make time for pure fun every day! But what does it mean to invest in fun?
To invest means to use, give or devote (money, time , talent, etc.), by purchase or expenditure, in something offering potential profitable returns. I think we can all agree the benefits of fun can be considered a profitable return. Here are some examples of how to invest in having fun:
- Host a regular game night with friends
- Organize a night out or happy hour with colleagues
- Play with your pets
- Share jokes with friends or coworkers
- Go for a bike ride or hike with your spouse
Devote time to playing in your leisure time, take your stress levels down a notch, and start living a happier and healthier life!